Andy Schor serves as the 52nd Mayor of Lansing, Michigan. He took office January 1, 2018.
Andy Schor served in the Michigan House of Representatives representing residents of the 68th House District, which included most of the City of Lansing and all of Lansing Township.
Andy is a strong advocate for tackling the legislative and economic issues affecting the region. He has proposed legislation dealing with blighted properties, charitable gaming, education, elections, energy crisis assistance, gun control, student debt, and talent attraction and retention. He was able to pass two bills and several resolutions and was also the lead Democrat on the legislation to provide healthcare to 400,000 Michigan residents through the new Healthy Michigan Program’s Medicaid Expansion.
Before coming to the House, Andy served as an Ingham County Commissioner for ten years, where he was able to pass a budget during tough economic times that did not include cuts to programs and managed to put more police officers back in the community. In the past, Andy worked in the administration of Former Governor Jennifer Granholm. Andy also served as Assistant Director of State Affairs for the Michigan Municipal League for six years. He worked with cities throughout the state on economic development issues, and passed several laws creating economic development tools for cities. He also worked on other issues of importance to cities, including municipal finance, transportation, municipal services, energy, and others. Andy worked with many mayors and city council members throughout Michigan to develop best practices for cities.
Andy is extensively involved in community organizations that are dedicated to enriching and growing the Lansing area. He is a founding member of the Ingham County Land Bank and has served as a Board Member of the Tri-County Office of Aging and the South Lansing Community Development Association.
Andy and his wife, Erin, have lived in Lansing for over 20 years. Their children, Ryan and Hannah, attend school in the Lansing Public School District. Andy graduated from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor with Bachelor of Arts degrees in political science and in history.
- Voted second most effective member of the Democratic House Caucus
- Freshman Legislator of the Year Finalist
- Capitol Caucus Chair
- Progressive Women's Caucus Member
- Legislative Hispanic Caucus Member
- NAACP, Lansing Chapter Member
- Ingham County Land Bank Founding Board Member
- Ethics and Elections Committee
- Michigan Competitiveness Committee
- Commerce and Trade Committee
- Education Committee
- Regulatory Reform Committee
- Assistant Floor Leader
- House Democrats’ Education Task Force
- Governor's Prescription Drug and Opioid Abuse Task Force Member
- Governor's Responsible Retirement Reform Task Force Member
- Healthy Michigan Law, Lead House Democrat
- Tri-County Office on Aging, former board member
- Families Against Narcotics advisory board member
- Lansing Juneteenth Committee Capitol Kick-off Co-Host, Chair
- Greater Lansing Food Bank Annual Dinner Co-Chair